Saturday 15 August 2015

This Guy Has A Third Ear On His Arm

Stelarc shows off third ear
A NUTTY professor who has grown a third ear on his arm plans to connect it to the internet so people all over the world can hear what he does.
Performance artist Stelarc, 69, is hoping to insert a miniature microphone in the organ that can wirelessly connect to the web.

Aussie Stelarc, who legally changed his name from Stelios Arcadiou 45 years ago, said: “This ear is not for me, I’ve got two good ears to hear with.
“If I’m not in a wi-fi hotspot or I switch off my home modem, then perhaps I’ll be offline, but the idea actually is to try to keep the ear online all the time. There will not be an on-off switch.
“So, wherever you are and wherever I am in the world, you’ll be able to listen in to what my ear is hearing.”

 Ear will hear
Stelarc’s third ear is partly surgically-constructed, partly cell-grown. It is already a living, feeling part of his body because, after transplantation, his own tissue and blood vessels morphed with it.
The Perth-based scientist went on: “As a performance artist I am particularly interested in that idea of the post-human, that idea of the cyborg.
“What it means to be human will not be determined any longer merely by your biological structure but perhaps also determined largely by all of the technology that’s plugged or inserted into you.”
Stelarc has previously put cameras in his lungs, colon and stomach, performed with a third hand and hung himself naked from a ceiling with hooks.


The Sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment